For a long time a large portion of my virtual and in real life friends have been trying to encourage me that maybe being a stay at home mom is NOT for me and that maybe I should start working.
Don't get me wrong, I have loved the past 3 years of being a stay at home mom, but I was definitely in a rut and needed some change. Oded still can't find a nursing job, and over the summer lost his job in the deli, and we had ZERO income. This has not been easy on us but we have been dealing with it.
I went upstate to the bungalow colony for the summer to save us money. Up there we didn't have to pay any utilities, so we saved a NICE chunk of money. Being in Brooklyn over the summer cost about $500 a month for the electric just to keep the rooms at a comfortable temperature.... Make a long story short.... Emily's Occupational Therapist (who she was on vacation from for the summer) texted me in middle of the summer asking me if I was looking to work. Her husband, a CPA who had worked for a big firm till now, was going out on his own, and he needed a competent person to help him start and setup the office, from the ground up. I went on the interview, and it seemed to be a dream come true. A decent salary, a VERY understanding boss(sensitive to the needs of a working mom), and a field I have always liked (I did bookkeeping for a long time). sooooo fast forward a month and I am now a full time+ working mom.
I work 6 days a week which is really tough on the kids, but Oded has switched roles with me and is now a stay at home dad.
I still have to do the cleaning, but he really is great with the cooking and laundry (my two least favorite things). I like working, I like my boss, I like my job, I like that we are FINALLY paying bills and not just fielding phone calls from creditors, but I don't like that at the end of the day I get home and have 2 EXTREMELY clingy children, a kitchen that looks like a tornado, and a living room and dining room that looks like toys r us blew up. But working has made me enjoy the weekends. I find I have more patience to deal with the kids. I actually sit and play with them, not just watch them play. Overall I think I like being a working mom...... Problem is once Oded gets a job, I will need to go to part time, or hire a nanny..... I guess only time will tell, but for now I can truly say I am happy :)
Thank you to all my friends who gave me the courage to start working. You were right..... Being a working mom seems to be a MUCH better fit for me.
I am the same way. I really do love being a working mom. And after I got past the guilt of feeling that way, I know it is best for us. I am also in the numbers gig and an accountant. For me the people to interact with, using my brain, and the stability of the numbers are a little vacation :-)
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with everything! Sounds like a good fit for you :)
ReplyDelete