Sunday, February 27, 2011

What Matters!

It has been a long time since I wrote anything but a blog post I read tonight got me inspired.....

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/what-matters-is-my-kids

If you drop in when I am not expecting you, chances are what you will be greeted with is a sink full of dishes, dirty bottles and sippy cups strewn about, a high chair and booster with something that resembles food caked on them, and an obstacle course of toys from the doorway to the living room. A desk piled high with papers, and god knows what, and a couch covered in clean laundry waiting for it's turn to be folded. A mountain of laundry in the kitchen next to my machines waiting for a wash, and kitchen counters with "stuff" (mail, cereals, etc.....) covering them. A dining room table covered in stuff needing to find a permanent place. If you decide to be brave enough to venture upstairs, you will find carpets that haven't seen a vacuum in I don't want to admit how long, bathrooms that have not have a full good scrub  down in.....3....4....5... maybe 6 months? And a guest room that resembles a combination of a storage room that blew up, a clothing store that vomited everywhere, and an office that hasn't seen organization in well... for as long as we have lived here.

This is the raw honest truth of how we live...... My house is far from perfect.... but my life is happy. I have a sign in my kitchen that says "A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen..... mine is delirious" It really is true. In my living room I have a sign that says "My house was clean last week... sorry you missed it" That also is so true, but maybe last year would be more accurate.

But this is what matters!!!! Having FUN with my kids!




I feel myself apologizing to people when they come over saying "sorry for the mess but the kids have been sick...... or it's been a hectic week".... but why do I feel the need to constantly justify it? Isn't it enough that I have 2 kids 15 months apart that I for the most part care solely for? I don't know why I have this image in my head that my house should be impeccable, my children always neat and put together, and a fresh made balanced dinner on the table every night.

Well tonight.... for me I decided it was more important to take my kids to the park since the weather was not freezing, and give Oded some quiet time to study.

I could have turned on the TV, and kept them busy while I cleaned, did laundry, and what not.... but this is what was more important!

 These smiles are what matters!

After the park I went out for Pizza, The main picture on this blog was taken at the pizza store.  I had such a great time, and they both behaved really well! Nathan ate his pizza and fries, and Emily enjoyed her first pizza crust and some cheerios!


So now they are sleeping, and I should be cleaning up, but instead I am sitting here eating the cold french fries I brought home from the pizza store.

I wish I could just not be so hard on myself!!!!! Emily's physical therapist is coming in the morning and I feel as if I need to quickly clean up and have this place in tip top shape! I know logically it's not what matters... but why can't I really FEEL IT! Emily's progress in PT has been going AMAZING because instead of cleaning during the day, I am working with her, and doing the exercises I need to do with her. Her therapist is astounded every week with her progress.

So if you come by... don't be in shock at the state of my house........ I will try not to make excuses..... because I am prioritizing what matters.... and to me...... it's this brilliant boy
 and this divalicous!


Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! You are a FANTASTIC mom and I wish I could follow more of your lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally what matters! I about go crazy cleaning the day before home visits for therapy though- I don't want anyone thinking we live in a barn! Any other day? Just like you described.

    ReplyDelete